All the application for permit files are in a “PDF” format and you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view them. The application files may be large, so downloading may take some time depending on your connection speed. If you have trouble opening any files please update to the newest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Permits that have a SUBMIT button will be emailed to Murray County Highway Department.  They may also be printed and faxed to Murray County Highway Department. The address and fax number are at the top of each permit.  Please include your fax number and address so the Murray County Highway Department can return the permit to you.

After you click SUBMIT, it will open our web browser to enable you to pay for the permit with a credit card. You may cancel that if you want to pay by check.  Please contact our office at 507-836-6327 if you want to pay by check or if you have any questions about a permit.

If you pay with a credit card, a service fee will be added to your total payment. This varies depending on the price of the permit.

Please fill in ALL the information on the webpages including price of the permit.  Incorrect payment will delay permit approval.  On the first page in the dropdown box named FEE TYPE, select “Highway Department”. In the box named MISCELLANEOUS, enter the type of permit you are applying for.


Moving PermitFEE: $50 Moving Permit Only (Non-Refundable)
FEE: $200 Moving/Overweight Permit (Non-Refundable)
FEE: $700 Annual Moving/Overweight Permit (Non-Refundable)

The moving permit requires a ‘Certificate of Insurance’, provided by the moving companies insurance agency, to be sent with the permit application. The moving permit has fees depending on the type of move. The permit isn’t valid until signed by Murray County.

Applicant is required to sketch the axles and provide axle weights as part of the permit, whether it is over-sized or overweight.

Posted Bridges


Murray Co Ag Products Permit-page-001FEE:  $300 six axle truck (90,000# GVW)
FEE:  $500 seven axle truck (97,000# GVW)

The Special Agricultural Products permit is only to be used for hauling raw or unprocessed agricultural products.  Read the full instructions on the first page of the permit.


FEE: $100 (Non-Refundable)

A copy of the appropriate township map is required to be submitted along with the application to the Murray County Highway Department. Please print out the appropriate township map and indicate the exact location of the proposed driveway on the map with a “X”. If you do not bring this permit to the Murray County Highway Department personally please place a flag of some kind in the center of the proposed driveway location. This is so the Murray County Highway Department can check the area before the permit is granted. Then indicate on the application above your signature the type of flag that you placed.

Belfast      Bondin      Cameron       Chanarambie       Dovray        Ellsborough

Fenton      Holly        Iona               Lake Sarah           Leeds          Lime Lake

Lowville     Mason     Moulton        Murray                 Shetek         Skandia          Slayton


Utility Permit

FEE: $50 (Non-Refundable)

If the location area on the second page is too small to show the location of the work or if you have a copy of a plan you can submit a larger drawing of the plan with the application to the Murray County Highway Department.


Drain Tile CrossingFEE: $200 Plus repair costs for Boring (Non-Refundable)
FEE: $1,000 Plus repair costs for Open Cut (Non-Refundable)

The application for  Drain Tile Crossing Permit needs need to be signed before it is submitted to the Murray County Highway Department.


Outlet PermitFEE: $50 (Non-Refundable)

The downstream landowner is required to sign the application before it is submitted to the Murray County Highway Department.


Barricade County Road PermitThis permit is typically used for closing down County Roads during community events such as street dances and parades. This permit is also required to temporarily close County Roads for equipment movements, such as wind tower projects. Please check with the County Highway Department to see if your event or project requires a permit. Permits must be granted before road closures.





FEE: $50 (Non-Refundable)

Work in the Right of Way permit is required when performing work within the roadbed or ditches on the County Road system, that isn’t covered by one of our other permits. Examples may be digging, looking for survey monuments, tile line or utility exploration, cleaning the road ditch of excess sediment, repair or installation of concrete curb and gutter, sidewalk or driveway apron, ditch or boulevard restoration work, or any other significant work or disturbance within the right of way not covered by one of our other permits. Permit must be granted prior to start of any work.


Pay Now