Murray County Government Center
2500 28th Street
Slayton, MN 56172
Contact: Mary Ellen Moline
To obtain a birth certificate, please fill out the form by clicking HERE . For a noncertified Birth Record application, click HERE. Return the completed form along with the appropriate fee to the Murray County Treasurer at the address listed above.
Both certified and non-certified death certificates are available. Certified death certificates can be used for legal purposes, while non-certified death certificates are for informational use only.
To obtain a certified death certificate, please click HERE. To obtain a non-certified death certificate, click HERE. Return the completed form along with the appropriate fee to the Murray County Treasurer at the address listed above.
Click here to visit the Minnesota Department of Health – Vital Records Page – to find more information and download other forms.
TO APPLY FOR A MARRIAGE LICENSE:
Both parties must appear in person to complete the application. If one of the parties is not available, the individual who is absent will be required to complete a verification from our office.
- Our office is located the Murray County Government Center in Slayton.
- You must apply in person.
- You must have a license purchased before getting married. A license purchased in Minnesota is only valid in Minnesota and can not be used in any other state. A marriage license must be used within six months or it expires.
- No blood test or physical is required.
- To obtain a marriage license (without parental consent) you must be 18 years of age. Be prepared to present valid identification.
- For each person, you must know the full legal name, address, date and place of birth, telephone numbers and social security numbers (if you have one).
- You must know the names after marriage and an after-marriage address.
- If you have been previously married and are divorced, you must bring your divorce decree with you. If you are widowed, please provide the date of death.
MARRIAGE LICENSE FEES:
If you have completed 12 hours of special premarital counseling as specified in paragraph b of statute 517.08 Subd. 1b, you may be eligible for the reduced marriage license application fee of $40.00 instead of $115.00.
PROOF OF COUNSELING MUST BE PRESENTED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION!
LICENSED NOTARY PUBLIC
If you are a licensed notary public, you must register your signature in your county of residence. In Murray County, you may register in person at the Murray County Government Center. To register, you will be asked to provide the commission card you received from the The Minnesota Secretary of State (651-296-2803), a photo ID and the filing fee. In the event you haven’t received your commission card you need to go online to The Minnesota Secretary of State website and a commission card to bring into any of our offices. Along with the information and documents you provide, we will provide an index filing card for your signature that will be placed on file with Murray County. The fee to file your notary commission may be paid by check or cash. The filing fee is $20.00.
FILING MINISTERIAL CREDENTIALS
Documents must be original. Filing of ministerial credentials must be done in person. This service is available at the Murray County Government Center. Please note that any signature provided on a document (certificate, letter, etc.) must be a live signature. This means that it cannot be pre-printed or photocopied.
To file credentials, applicant must:
- Present an original certificate of ordination, which will be verified and copied. In lieu of this documentation, one the following may be substituted:
- A letter from the main church body such as the Archdiocese or Synod with the signature of one official.
- A letter from a church, on church letterhead, signed by three other officials of the church.
- The letter must contain a statement that the church authorizes applicant to solemnize marriages.
- In the absence of a letterhead, the signatures of the three officials must be notarized.
- Provide proper identification (such as a drivers license or passport) verifying the name on the letter or ordination certificate.
Please do not hesitate to call the Treasurers Office at 507-836-1156 should you have any questions or need assistance.
License Center UPDATE - no appointment needed effective June 1, 2021
Murray County Offices are open to the public. Click read more for further COVID-19 and vaccine information.