Cameron Township Board
Meeting Date: 1st Tuesday
Meeting Time: 8:30 P.M.May through November – 8:00 P.M. December through April
Meeting Location: Township Hall
Cameron Township History
October 1, 1878
Cameron Township is on the west side; second tier of Murray County, with Pipestone County located on its western border, Ellsborough Township on the north, Lowville Township on the east, and Chanarambie Township on the south. Settlers were crossing this township long before it was organized by way of the wagon trail from Mankato to Sioux Falls that cut through the lower tier of Cameron Township. The post office located on Section 27 was called “Scoville”. It was on the stage route between Tracy and Pipestone.
This township was originally called Stanley, after Philip Stanley, an influential man among the early settlers. The name was later changed to “Cameron,” after an early settler, Charles Cameron Cole.
In the late 1870’s, a large number of Civil War veterans settled the township.
The second wave of settlers came around 1882-1883. This new wave came from Scotland, brought here through the solicitation on the Scottish American Land Colonization Company. The company owned large tracts of land in Pipestone and Murray County. Most of the Scottish people did not take kindly to the long cold winters and soon returned to Scotland.
Murray County Offices are open, due to deteriorating road conditions some departments may be closing early.
Please call ahead to ensure the department needed is open 507-836-6148. License Center and Recorders office have closed.