Murray County License Center

Murray County Government Center
2500 28th Street
PO Box 57
Slayton, MN  56172

Annette Seivert
License Center Supervisor
Phone: 507-836-1150
Fax: 507-836-8904

autoinsuranceinfo-page-001 (1)What you need to know about Auto Insurance

Insurance Information Required to Register Motor Vehicles
Minnesotans who are renewing license tabs or registering or transferring ownership of motor vehicles and motorcycles will need to provide proof of insurance and information under a law change that took effect on Jan. 1, 2016.
Every owner will need to provide the following information:

  • Name of insurance company
  • Policy Number
  • Expiration date of the policy

Commercial Drivers License
Minnesotans who are renewing a commercial drivers license must present a valid US Passport or Passport card or a certified copy of a birth certificate.


What are your hours of business?
All services are available from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, except for Driver’s Licenses who should arrive by 4:00 p.m.

What services are available at the Murray County License Center?

  • Motor vehicle registration renewal
  • Motor vehicle registration from out-of-state
  • Motor vehicle registration – other
  • Driver’s license renewals
  • Driver’s instruction permit renewals
  • Driver’s license duplicates
  • State Identification cards
  • Snowmobile registrations
  • Hunting licenses (including stamps)
  • Fishing licenses (including stamps)
  • All-terrain vehicle registration
  • Watercraft registration
  • Notarization

When and where are driver’s license exams offered? Written exams are offered every Friday between 10:00 a.m. and 11:15 a.m. at the State of Minnesota Driver’s License Examination Station located in the Murray County Courts Building Meeting Room. Road tests are offered every Friday at the State of Minnesota Driver’s License Examination Station located in the Courts Building by appointment only. Call 507-376-6551 to schedule an appointment on Tuesday’s only.   You may also go to to schedule a skills test as long as it is not for a farmer’s permit.

What if I don’t receive my new driver’s license card within three weeks? Call the Murray County License Center for assistance at 507-836-1151.

What information is necessary to obtain various licenses and what are the applicable fees? Submit current driver’s license. Vision test and photo taken. Applicants under 18 years of age must have application signed by parent or legal guardian and notarized. All applicants must have their social security number with them at the time of application.

  • License Fees:
    • Class A regular –  $44.25
    • Class A under 21 – $24.25
    • Class B regular / under 21 – $36.25
    • Class C regular / under 21 – $29.25
    • Class D regular / under 21  – $25.25 or $21.75 if driver’s record has no violations when upgrading from provisional license to Class D
    • Provisional License – $16.25
    • Duplicate license – $14.75
    • Driver’s Instruction Permit – $13.25
  • Driver’s License Duplicate – Proof of identity must be submitted when there is a change of name or address. A vision test is required. Applicants under 18 years of age must have application signed by parent or guardian and notarized.
  • State Identification Card – Submit proof of identity. Photo taken.
  • State Identification Card Fees:
    • Under 65 – $19.25
    • Age 65 and older – $16.50
    • Duplicate – $14.75
    • Mentally / physically disabled – $0.50
  • Driver’s Instruction Permit – Submit valid score sheet or current permit. If replacing a lost or stolen permit, proof of identity must be presented. Vision test taken. Applicants under 18 years of age must have application signed by parent or guardian and notarized.
  • Farm or Commercial Vehicle – If renewing a vehicle with a weight of 55,000 pounds or more, you need to bring in form 2290, Schedule 1, A Schedule of Heavy Highway Vehicles, stamped by the IRS.  For a copy of the form, click HERE.
  • Motor Vehicle – Registration Renewal – Applicant submits renewal notice that was sent to them via the mail. If the renewal notice was lost or not received, the applicant must provide the vehicle license plate number so the office can assess state records and issue the renewal.
  • Motor Vehicle – Registration from Out-of-State – Submit the foreign state title, or current registration if title is unavailable due to a lien. Applicant provides: Current odometer reading, and drivers license or state issued identification card. If there is a lien against the vehicle, the owner must provide the name and complete address of the lender, as well as the date of the loan.  Owner’s signature is required on the Minnesota Title application.
  • Motor Vehicle – Transfer of Minnesota Title – Buyer presents title certificate and driver’s license or state issued identification card. “Seller’s” portion of title, including signature(s), date of sale, odometer statement, and damage and emissions disclosure statements, must be completed by sellers (s).
  • Motor Vehicle – Other Transactions Available – Duplicate Title, Plate, Registration Card, Sticker Applications and Special Plate Applications.
  • Watercraft – Owner provides make, year, length and serial number of watercraft, motor size if applicable, and his or her driver’s license number and signature. For titled watercraft being transferred, transfer must be executed on Minnesota or foreign-state title.  Fees vary according to type length and use of craft.
  • Snowmobile – Owner provides make, model, year, serial number, and engine size (hp or cubic centimeters), and his or hers drivers license number and signature. License is valid for three years for a fee of $78.50, which includes the 3 year trail sticker.   If the registration was purchased before July 1, 2012 and the trail sticker was not purchased, it is also available for $36.00 for a one year sticker.
  • All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV) – Owner provides make, model, year, serial number, and engine size (hp or cubic centimeters), width of the ATV in inches, and his or hers drivers license number and signature.  License is valid for three years. Fee for registration is $45.00 plus $6.00 issuing fee.

Where can I get Game and Fish Licenses? Small game and fish licenses go on sale on March 1st. Big game licenses go on sale in August.   Deer hunting season starts in early November. Duplicates, special disability, foreign exchange, military and replacement licenses are available at the Murray County License Center. When applying for a resident license, proof of Minnesota residency is required by providing a Minnesota Drivers License, State Identification Card, Firearms Safety Certificate, or previous ELS (electronic license system) issued hunting or fishing licenses. Fees: Vary, according to type (s) of license(s) purchased. For more information, check out the Minnesota DNR website at:

Do I need a Cross-Country Ski License? Daily, Annual, or Three-year licenses available at the Murray County License Center.   They are required for groomed trails in state and county parks. Fees vary according to the type of license purchased.

Where can I get something Notarized? The Murray County Government Center helps with notarization at the Murray County License Center. There is no fee associated with this service.

Where can I get a application for special permit for operation of golf cart in Murray County? Click HERE

Do I have the proper identification? Please go to the Minnesota Department of Safety.

Informational Weblinks:
Driver and Vehicle Internet Renewal (off-site link)
Information on Fish and Game Licenses (off-site link)