DID YOU KNOW YOU CAN PRE-APPLY?
You can Pre-Apply for a Driver’s License or ID, schedule an exam and more ONLINE!
You will still need to visit a license office in person, but by filling out some of the information out online you may decrease the time you spend at the county. Be sure to bring your confirmation page and the documents listed on the confirmation. It will take you about 10 – 15 minutes to complete, but it will save you that time at the license office!
A pre-application feature in the new driver’s license system will allow Minnesotans to enter a significant portion of their driver’s license or ID card application online – including REAL ID applications – reducing the time spent in driver’s license offices.
The new feature, also available on mobile devices, includes the list of required documents for each license type so applicants can have all necessary documents ready when they visit a driver’s license office.
MURRAY COUNTY LICENSE CENTER
2500 28th Street – Slayton, Minnesota 56172
Minnesotans will be able to apply for REAL ID compliant driver’s licenses and identification cards starting October 1, but there’s no reason to apply for one right away. Minnesota’s standard licenses and ID cards will be accepted for federal purposes, including boarding domestic flights, until October 1, 2020. To help reduce wait times, state officials are suggesting residents wait to apply unless they need to change their name or address or renew their current license.
Driver’s License and ID Card Options
Minnesota has three identification options from which residents may choose:
- Standard Driver’s License or ID Card
- Enhanced Driver’s License or Enhanced ID Card
- REAL ID-Compliant Driver’s License or ID Card
Determining which type of license or ID card works best depends on what a person needs to use the card for. Visit the License/ID Options page or use the new Help Me Choose tool to find the card that best fits your needs.
What You Need to Bring when Applying for a License or ID
Applying for a REAL ID compliant card requires additional documentation compared to the requirements for a standard Minnesota driver’s license. A person must provide the following in person when applying:
- One document proving identity, date of birth and legal presence in the United States – If the name on the identity document is not the same as a person’s current name, a name change document must be submitted.
- One document proving social security number.
- Two documents proving current residency in Minnesota.
Enhanced driver’s license or ID
Applying for an EDL or EID requires additional requirements and documentation compared to a standard Minnesota license.
- Only an applicant who can provide proof of identity, full legal name, social security number, photographic identity, Minnesota residency and U.S. citizenship is eligible for a Minnesota EDL or EID.
- Two types of documents must be submitted to prove Minnesota residency. For example, an electric bill or phone bill and a tax return.
- An EDL/EID must list the Minnesota residence address.
- Complete an Interview Questionnaire at the time of application.
- A $15 fee is required in addition to the fee for a driver’s license or ID card.
Standard driver’s license or ID
- To apply for a standard driver’s license, identification card, or permit, you may present a Minnesota driver’s license, identification card, or permit that is current or expired for five years or less if it has a photo, or one year or less if it does not have a photo.
- If you do not have one of the items listed above, you must present two documents, including one document that contains your full name and the month, day and year of your birth. These documents may include a birth certificate, passport or a Social Security card.
- If the name on your driver’s license, identification card or permit has changed or the names on your other documents do not match, you must also present proof of your legal name change(s).